Monday, March 22, 2010

Green bacon on a stick

Breakfast always tasted better outside, my mother told me years ago as we carried the fixings for a bacon-and-egg breakfast down the steep hillside to the waterfront at Queen Lake, where we visited our cousins Edie and Bill each summer.

Of course she was right, but I don’t know if I would have immediately realized it if she hadn’t told me that day.

Edie was my mother’s cousin, but as close as a big sister to her, and Bill and my father became fast friends. We kids were crazy about our older cousins, and our times at the camp, as we called their rustic house on the lake, were some of the happiest and carefree of my childhood.

Bill loved to regale us with stories – of coming face to face with a Grizzly Bear while hunting in Alaska or hauling telephone poles to hilltops in rural Vermont. But he was a kidder, and when we were young it was sometimes hard to tell where the real story ended and the tall tale began.

At that first lakeside breakfast he told us about cooking over a campfire out in the wilderness. His voice started booming as he described boiling eggs in a pot of coffee and cooking bacon over the fire on a green stick.

Somehow, in the conversation that followed, the green was transposed from the stick to the bacon.

This was long before I was allowed to have coffee, but for some reason the concept of cooking eggs in the coffee really appealed to me, perhaps because it sounded both elemental and efficient. My mother, who loved her coffee, declared that it would ruin the brew, but that nothing would be worse than green bacon on a stick.

Bill was delighted with the concept, and, for all the years we enjoyed breakfast down by the water, he never failed to ask if anyone wanted green bacon on a stick.

3 comments:

  1. Being a camper, I've cooked a lot of things on a stick, but never bacon. As I'm reading your story, I'm trying to work out the process. He used green sticks because they don't burn -- but they're bendy. And if they're bendy, he must have had a hard time threading the stick through the bacon which is also bendy. He didn't wrap the bacon around the stick, did he? It would have slid off. Can you tell I'm making a plan for preparing "bacon on a stick" this summer up at the Notch? Anything to avoid washing pans without running water. Mom was right, by the way, breakfast outside is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, We never actually did anything with the bacon and green sticks -we just talked and joked about them. I never thought to ask how it worked. I think you could find green sticks that are on the thick side -- as long as they're recently cut they probably wouldn't burn. But here's a tip: I just looked up suggestions online and found directions for cooking bacon and eggs over a campfire in a paper bag -- no cleanup there. Check it out: http://www.ehow.com/how_5030945_cook-eggs-paper-bag.html
    Not only were those breakfasts wonderful tasting, but we got to swim beforehand, which was a real treat. Eventually Bill installed electricity next to the fireplace, and we sued an electric coffeepot and electric frying pan. But we'd often still have a fire, just for the effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pleased with the frequent updates

    ReplyDelete