Saturday, March 13, 2010

Pancakes, cinnamon chips & a superb substitution


Bob was up early this morning to make pancakes for our daughter Nora before she headed out to take the SATs. But there were no eggs, as Nora had used them all making a double batch of Toll House cookies for school.

When I heard that the pancakes were eggless, I made a face (involuntarily). But then I recalled another recent eggless day, when Bob had substituted three tablespoons of canola oil – figuring that the fat was the important component of the eggs and the recipe had turned out just fine.

I asked him to remind me what he had been cooking that day. Turns out it was pancakes.

So when I got back from driving Nora, I made myself a latte and some cinnamon chip pancakes. The batter had risen to form an airy sponge and dropped in large balls onto the frying pan.

These pancakes were fabulous and light, with a consistency that reminded me of a flaky piecrust. They may not have provided any protein, but I’ll never again turn up my nose at an eggless pancake.

A confession: We don't make homemade pancakes but use the Ultimate Pancake recipe that is sometimes printed on the Bisquick box. It's really good, so, even though I have a whole-wheat recipe I like, we go with this version that the family prefers.

The kids add in chocolate chips, and Bob and I go for mini cinnamon chips. Our son Aidan got us started on them. At one time we could buy Hershey's brand from the supermarket, but none of the area stores stock them these days. I found a superior product online at the Prepared Pantry and order them in large quantitites.

1 comment: